So I am a coffee lover – love it!! I do enjoy the occasional cuppa tea, I take it white with one sugar…I know I should be ditching the milk and sugar, but what I can say… I am English! What I have learnt lately though is I really should be adding more tea to my day, as the health benefits are varied and huge.
Tea to the English is really a picnic indoors. – Alice Walker
Where does tea come from?
Teas are widely known for their health benefits and have been around for centuries. The stories of its origins seems to differ but one legend has it that tea began in 2737 BC when the Emperor Shen Nong accidentally discovered tea. Legend has it that he was boiling water in the garden and wild tea tree leaves fell into his pot. The emperor enjoyed it so much he started drinking and researching tea further. According to Wikipedia the first physical evidence indicates that tea was drunk by the Han dynasty as early as 2nd Century BC. One thing can be sure Tea features highly in so many cultures around the world and has done for centuries.
If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty. – Japanese Proverb
What are the health benefits of tea?
Even your usual English Breakfast, or your healthier Green teas have great health benefits:
- Lowers heart attack risk
- Green tea boosts metabolic rate so can help with weight loss
- Osteoporosis – elderly women who drink tea have higher bone density than those that do not
- Polyphenols found in tea may help reduce the risk of certain cancers
- One that I was surprised with is that Green tea can decrease risk of tooth loss
- The list really can go on and on…
Health benefits of Herbal teas
- Great for oral health
- Can relieve sinus problems and cold symptoms
- Boost alertness and concentration
- Settle digestive issues
- Relieve IBS symptoms
- Can help with menstrual cramps
- Improves sleep quality
- Can boost immunity
- Benefits blood flow and heart health
- Rich in antioxidants
- Reduces risk of pancreatic, oral and prostrate cancers
- Could help improve memory and also protect against dementia
- Boost digestion
- Soothes nausea, morning sickness and motion sickness
- Has anti-inflammatory benefits
- Can help relieve asthma
- Reduces sore muscles
- Powerful source of vitamin C
- Vitamin C is beneficial to skin, bones, teeth and gums
- Reduce the common cold
- Includes vitamins A, B, C and E
- Not recommended in first trimester of pregnancy but in last trimester to strengthen and tone the uterus
- Stabilise blood glucose
Kombucha (fermented tea):
- Healthy bacteria is helpful for gut and overall health
- Strengthens immunity
- Maintaining healthy bacterial balance can assist in weight loss
Matcha (ground green tea):
- Enhances mood
- Improves memory and concentration
- High in antioxidants
- Encourages weight loss
So you see tea really can improve your overall well-being.
For the perfect cuppa here are some gorgeous accessories to lust over:
Stylish glass kettle. Contemporary styling and brews a great cuppa!
This sleek modern design has the addition of a tea light underneath to keep your tea nice and warm – looks brilliant.
Starter kit to give Matcha a try. Makes a great gift … to yourself! 😉
This is a great little tea gadget. Insert your tea, steep and then enjoy.
Love the traditional packaging of these teas in their retro tins. Harney & Sons are well known for their high quality teas. This variety pack allows you try to some of their most famous ones.
I think this combination of flavours sounds delicious. Definitely one I will be ordering soon. SerendipiTea are award winning tea makers and have some great sounding combos of flavours.
Popcorn tea!! This apparently tastes like “sugar puffs” in a cup. This is another I have to try!
Please comment below with your own recommendations and share the tea love.
For pregnant women please check with a medical professional on which teas are suitable during pregnancy. None of these teas are to replace any advice or medications given to you by your doctor.
*This post contains Affiliate links, they do not affect how much you pay for these gorgeous products, but do help me work towards my dream of blogging full-time.